The American Values series of self portraits is an exploration of nationalism and the diverse opinions of Americans about the United States. The quotes below the photographs are from research studies, a hospital Web site, a U.S. statute, a blog, and other various sources. The photographs are inspired by Bill Owens's series Suburbia, Nikki S. Lee's self-portrait photographs, and Zoe Strauss's series 10 Years.
1. "Fifty-seven percent of all Americans have had sex outdoors. . ." G. Langer et al., Poll: American Sex Survey, ABC News, Oct. 21, 2004.
2. "Unemployment has retaken its place . . ." Braden Goyett, Unemployment The Number 1 Problem for Americans, Gallup Poll Says, The Huffington Post, Feb. 18, 2014.
3. ". . . American women are kept from growing to their full human capabilities . . ." Betty Friedan, The Feminine Mystique, 1963.
4. "Today, only about half of Americans . . ." Pew Research Center, ""The American-Western European
Values Gap," Nov. 17, 2011.
5. ". . . 152 pounds of sugar . . ." New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services, Division of Public Health Services, "How Much Sugar Do You Eat? You May Be Surprised" July 2007.
6. ". . . American men are flagging in their desire . . ." Hara Estroff Marano, "When Men Suffer Low Sex Drive," Psychology Today, Mar. 1, 2003.
7. ". . . it's hard for an American to take just a normal road trip . . ." This American Life, Episode 102: Road Trip! May 22, 1998.
8. "Smoking, the leading cause of preventable death . . ." Sabrina Tavernise and Robert Gebeloff, "Smoking Proves Hard to Shake Among the Poor," NY Times, Mar. 24, 2014.
9. "More than 14 million women binge drink . . ." CDC, Binge Drinking: A Serious, Under-Recognized Problem Among Women and Girls, Jan. 8, 2013.
10. "If there was ever a time . . ." Michael Scaturro, "Rebranding America: Can the U.S. Sell Itself to International Tourists?," The Atlantic, Jan. 14, 2014.
11. "For all the talk of the democratization of the stock market . . ." From Lawrence Mishel et al., The State of Working America, 12th ed., 2012.
12. ". . . America is broke . . ." Sheyna Steiner, Credit Card Debit Hits All Incomes -- Big and Small, Bankrate.com, Feb. 23, 2013.
13. "In American suburbs, poverty is growing. . . ." Molly Kraybill, "As Poverty in Suburbs Grows, Charities Struggle to Meet Needs," Huffington Post, June 7, 2013.
14. "Americans remained selflessly devoted to their pets . . ." From Danielle Kurtzleben, Americans Spend $61 Billion on Pets Annually, U.S. News, May 22, 2013.
15. "Americans have become increasingly obsessed . . ." from Paul Campos, "Our Absurd Fear of Fat," NY Times, Jan 2, 2013
16. "New York City is the most . . ." One Campus NYC (Official Web site of New York City).
17. "In America . . . interracial marriage within their own family." KJ Dell'Antonia, "More Americans Say Interracial Marriage is a Good Thing," N.Y. Times, Feb. 16, 2012.
18. "The Women of America . . ." Michael James Stone's blog entry entitled "The Dominance of the Godless American Woman," August 6, 2012. When I ran a search for the quote, I found it copied on numerous Christian-themed message boards.
19. "A vital element in keeping the peace . . . " President Dwight D. Eisenhower, Military Industrial-Complex Speech, 1961.
20. ". . . an invading army of illegal aliens . . ." Rush Limbaugh, The Rush Limbaugh Show, April 26, 2010.
21. "Sports play an important role in American society. . . ." Official Web site of the U.S. Diplomatic Mission to Germany.
22. The American Dream. . . " Nin-Hai Tseng, "Don't just blame Wall Street: The American Dream has been eroding for years," cnn.com, Oct. 24, 2011.
23. ". . . God has chosen America to be a Christian Nation . . ." this quote comes from a Baptist hospital's Web site.
24. "How the question of gun ownership by Americans is resolved . . ." This quote comes from a Christian Web site called The Grace Believer.
25. "An average American meat-eater . . ." Farm USA.
26. ". . . largest consumer of sweeteners . . ." U.S. Department of Agriculture.
27. "In determining the meaning of any Act of Congress . . . " This is part of the Defense of Marriage Act, a federal law that defines marriage as between a man and a woman.
28. "The fear of layoffs and the ever-faster pace of work . . .," cnn.com, May 23, 2011.